I’m always on the lookout for quality indie games, the last couple of years the game industry is becoming more and more like Hollywood; some big game studios are creating games only to make as much money as possible. While The Walking Dead adventure game from Telltale was great, The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct is one of the worst games ever made according to a lot of people. Thats why I Love those small game studio’s that really make the games they would like to play themselves.
Dead State is one of those games that I’m really looking forward. It was introduced on Kickstarter on june 5, 2012 and the 150.000 dollar goal was reached a month later! Actualy they got some more money, currently backers pledged over 332.635 dollar in total!!
Dead State is a compelling, turn-based RPG with branching dialogue, shelter management, and survival mechanics set in the zombie apocalypse. When I came across this game it had me thinking of oldskool classic UFO: Enemy Unknown (X-Com) and Jagged Aliance.
Story and Gameplay
Interact with dozens of characters in over 10,000 lines of branching dialogue that affect gameplay, story outcomes, and multiple endings. Explore multiple surrounding towns and areas to find supplies and recruit allies. Fight the living and the dead in strategic turn-based combat. Upgrade your shelter to provide new ways of keeping morale high, creating new weapons and armor, and keeping the dead out. Your leadership will mean life or undeath for the survivors of the zombie apocalypse.
The developerLike i mentioned before I really dig those game developers that create games they would like to play themselves, and I think DoubleBear Productions is one of those Indie game developers that follows that philosophy:
We are so sick of most zombie games. Yes, we get it, killing zombies is fun. But that’s not what the zombie genre is about. It’s about survival, first and foremost – the struggle of the survivors faced with adapting to a world that has succumbed to an unfathomable event.
This is your story – you’re the leader and it’s up to you to force the lucky, the traumatized, and the selfish to work together for weeks and months after society has collapsed. Zombies are the least of your problems – you need to keep morale high, mouths fed, and your shelter safe. You will lose people. You will make enemies. You will have to make tough decisions. And you might not make it.
Core Gameplay Features
- Turn-based combat where line-of-sight and noise affect whether you are spotted or not, making for extremely tense encounters.
- Dozens of characters with branching, reactive dialogue, and randomized events that unfold over months of in-game time – player decisions and the death of loved ones can change relationships drastically.
- Base-building mechanics featuring multiple upgrades, NPC jobs, and item manufacturing.
- Scavenging mechanics that require players to find supplies, weapons, armor, and other items to keep their allies fed and alive.
- A PC RPG with stats, skills, and perks that make a huge difference on your character’s abilities.
- A morale system that factors in player success/failure, allies’ faith in the player, and the overall strength of the shelter.
- Crisis Event dialogues that factor in political maneuvering and making difficult choices that affect your whole shelter.
- Reactive AI that responds realistically to combat situations, player commands, and the state of panic from the presence of zombies.
So when can we expect this game?A important question, because if you read this far.. I know you (just like me) want to play this game NOW! But we have to wait a bit longer I’m afraid, the estimated release date for Dead State is December 2013. Hopefully we get a early Demo or Beta!!